Donnerstag, Januar 10, 2013

With no mistakes...

I came across something today and thought I'd share:

"Dear Human: You've got it all wrong. You didn't come here to master unconditional love. That is where you came from and where you'll return. You came here to learn personal love. Universal love. Messy love. Sweaty love. Crazy love. Broken love. Whole love. Infused with divinity. Lived through the grace of stumbling. Demonstrated through the beauty of... messing up. Often. You didn't come here to be perfect. You already are. You came here to be gorgeously human. Flawed and fabulous. And then to rise again into remembering."

---

I've wanted to be a linguist since I was 11 years old. I remember it clearly. The term came up on one of my favourite records of that time and I asked my mom what a linguist was and what they did. Since then I wanted to be a linguist. I've always had a thing for words and for literature too. But the more I came to know the more I knew that language rather than literature would be my playground. I've wanted to be a linguist for more than 13 years now. I took up studying two languages and for lack of confidence (or as I would rather put it, as a sensible way of keeping options open) I did so with the aspiration of becoming a teacher. Not as a mere cover, but because I liked the idea of working with young people, of going back to school, of providing some sort of inspiration... I wrote my Bachelor's thesis on transitivity and I aced my linguistic exams. I was offered a job as a research aid and I was asked to teach the linguistics tutorials for the second year students. Just a few days ago I held my first session in an introductory linguistics seminar, because one of the other lecturers will be missing for the rest of the term due to an accident. I got back the first results on my Master's thesis. I am thrilled. I might be on the brink of becoming a linguist.
Yet, I am not quite sure if I will pursue this opportunity. I find myself struggling with research. I find myself unable to share the joy of understanding processes of language change with anyone who gets it. I find myself reluctant to give up another 3 years for corpora and books... I am about to pass on the opportunity of writing a PhD, I always thought I wanted. Maybe it's time to be something else than a linguist. I just have to figure it out.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen